Saturday 7 December 2013

A Guide To Black Liner

When it comes to winter, one of my favorite makeup looks it black liner and lots of it! From the sophisticated flick to a smudged grunge look- I just love it. Depending on what look you're going for, it can be really hard to find the perfect product, so here is a run down of my favorite types of eyeliners.
(From left to right)
barry m liquid eyeliner// mac liquid eyeliner// Estée Lauder pencil liner// miss sporty wax crayon// barry m pencil liner// topshop kohl dust liner// maybelline gel liner// bobbi brown gel liner



For a thick, retro black eye I would recommend a liquid liner, because although they may be wet upon application, they quickly set to leave an opaque, precise line. I have found that the application of most liquid liners is the same- a pointy nip that is attached to the inside of the lid. It may take sometime to master using these, but practise makes perfect and you can achieve a really neat, thin line with these, or turn the brush on it's side to create a 60's inspired flick.

I would suggest trying MAC liquid liner for a long lasting product that doesn't crease, or for a drugstore alternative give the Barry M liquid liner a go!

For a smokey, smuged look I think pencils or waxy crayons are the way to go. Depending on the consistency of the liner, they can be quite a pain to apply to the top lid as they are dry so can drag along the lid but I find by using your index finger to pull out your eyelid slightly, they apply much easier. They are perfect for using in your tight line or water line for a touch of definition, or use them along your lash line and then blend them out for a smokey look.

I like the Estée Lauder pencil liner for a really intense black look because it's really creamy so glides on easily and is so pigmented! The Miss Sporty Waxy Crayon is perfect for people who like maintainer free makeup or are just starting out with eyeliner because it applied really easily and can give a lovely, simple liner look. Another product I have always been a fan of is the Barry M Pencil Liner because I find that they last all day without creasing and they come in so many shades other than black if you want to experiment with colour during the holiday season.

For a thick, grungey liner definitely try out the Topshop Kohl Dust Liner. I have never seen a liner like this before. In theory, it's just blackish grey dust that is densely packed in to a tube with a thick, spongey but tapered tip. The product itself can be extremely messy so I would suggest holding a bit of tissue under your eye before application. This liner gives a very thick slightly sparkly intense look but I think it is perfect for a party because it is so effortless!

For the perfect cat eye I always use my favourite type of eyeliner; gel! The best thing about gel liner is the fact that the look can be changed by simply using a different brush. They are a gel like texture (obviously) upon application and quickly set on your eye. You can achieve a simple, thin line for definition or can be build up for a more intense, bold line. The best thing about gel liner is they create a perfect flick and don't smudge or crease all day.

My favourite gel liners are the Maybelline Studio Effect Gel Liner and the Bobbi Brown Gel Liner. They are both great products because they don't crease on my extremely oily eyelids. The maybelline liner is slightly more liquid in texture, whereas the Bobbi Brown one is more dry so needs a bit more pressure upon application.

I really hoped this helped if you were struggling to decide which eyeliner is right for you! Feel free to ask any questions below.

Jess x

No comments:

Post a Comment