Sunday 19 January 2014

Guest Post// Drugstore Dupes// A Topsy Turvy Blog

Hello Lovelies;

My names Casey, and I run A Topsy Turvy blog. Today's post is ‘Drug store dupes’ of types..There are a lot of different products on the market, and whilst they aren't exact dupes (colour wise), they do the same job as the higher end brands.



Two new releases this year have been the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder - I seriously love this powder. It doesn't dry out my skin, and is just beautiful at reducing redness, and blurring imperfections - the closest you can come to this product in the drug store is the Bourjois Java Rice Powder - This was a relaunch if theirs as one of their first products back when they stared. This is a bit more heavy, and doesn't blur as well as the Hourglass powder, but it does high light really well. If you have oily skin you can use this as an all over face powder, but for those with drier skin, stick to using it for highlighting certain areas for a very natural glow. The Hourglass powder is pressed, and the Java one is loose, but they're both great highlighting powders to use! In this case I do like the high end one more though.

For a concealer - the close contenders are the YSL Touché Eclat and the Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Concealer. They're both highlighting concealers, and can be used under the eyes to brighten the area, or on your cheek bones to highlight. The YSL one is a lot thinner and doesn't do a good job of covering dark circles at all. You do need to use a higher coverage concealer with the YSL one, which is a shame because it's a nice product. The Lumi Touch one has got great coverage, and is my favourite drug store concealer. I use it daily to get rid of my dark circles and I think it's just amazing. I do like the drug store concealer in this case. It's just a great all rounder.

Primer time! Laura Mercier vs. Bourjois Illuminating Primer - If you put aside that one is pink, and more cream, whilst one is more of a clear gel, you do get the same outcome. They're both cooling and illuminate your skin - propping it for your base. I cannot decided which one I love more as they're both great. I recently ran out of my Laura Mercier one, and trolled the drug store to look for one that's the best dupe - which was hard as they seem to cater for oily skin more! This was the best I could find, and I do miss the cooling feeling of my Laura Mercier primer, but Bourjois do a great alternative.

Did you know L'Oreal own YSL? So when they brought out the L'Oreal Glam Shine Stain Splashes I had to get it! They're basically the same, the same, as the YSL Glossy Stains. They don't have as many colours as YSL, but the formulation, applicator, wear time etc... are the same. If you want the YSL stains but cannot afford the big price tag, don't suffer, go for this instead! I know people pay for the label, but this is really worth it. I'd go with the drug store product with this one. Same product for less money? Hells Yes!

Last but by no means least is the Chella's Highlighting Pencil vs. Scandaleyes Nude eye liner. I got the Chella's pencil in a Birchbox, and I use it like every day for two weeks forgetting about my poor Scandaleyes eye liner. They're both nude colours, which you can apply in the corner of your eyes to highlight them, making them look more awake, and just overall better. The Chella's one if meant to be for highlighing, so you can use it all over your face...Well, maybe not on your cheekbones, but if you do want something to open up your eyes this is the perfect option for you.  The scandaleyes one is waterproof, and you can also apply it on your lower waterline. Again, I cannot decide between them both! They're great products and for that certain purpose you can get either.

What are your favourite drug store dupes?

Make sure you visit Casey's blog for more amazing posts like this; caseyslifeandotherstuff.blogspot.co.uk

Thanks for reading guys!!

Jess x

No comments:

Post a Comment